After you and your family have started a search for assisted living and have a list of assisted living communities, there is no better way to narrow down your choices than through community visits.
Here’s a checklist made of “yes and no” questions to help you find the perfect community for you and your family.
Assisted Living Checklist: Questions for Families to Ask During a Community Visit
To gain the most information about a community during your visit, use this assisted living checklist and ask:
- Is the community clean and fresh-smelling?
- Does it have a friendly atmosphere?
- Are the staff friendly and kind?
- Is it easy to navigate and find your way around?
- Are restrooms senior-friendly with grab-bars?
- Are residents content and engaged?
- Are meals delicious, nutritious and presented well?
- Does it have good lighting to prevent falls?
- Is it a comfortable temperature?
- Is it fire safe, with sprinklers, smoke detectors and a fire plan?
- Does it have clearly marked exits?
- Is there adequate security?
- Are there doorways that are wide enough for walkers and wheelchairs?
- Can residents individually control thermostat in rooms?
- Is there a care plan for each resident?
- Is there a resident’s committee?
- Are medical services available?
- Is there care for residents with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias?
- Are common outdoor areas adequate?
- Are fees and costs clear and easy to understand?
- Does a doctor visit the community?
- Are nurses on staff?
- Is there scheduled transportation for residents?
- Is the location convenient?
If you are searching for an assisted living community and need assistance, you can always call us for help. We’ll get you connected with a local Senior Living Advisor who can provide you a list of communities that meets your family’s needs, and their help is free. Learn more from our resources.