Cost of Assisted Living in Massachusetts
According to the 2012 A Place for Mom Senior Living Costs Survey, the median monthly cost to live in an assisted living one bedroom apartment in Massachusetts is $4,472.
Best Cities for Successful Aging 2012
Boston Massachusetts: Ranked #1 for ages 80+. Excellent health care and access to top notch medical professionals. Downside – the cost of living is high and the price of assisted living is among the highest in the nation. (Best Cities for Successful Aging Index: Milken Institute July 2012 )
Top Cities in Massachusetts
All cities offering Assisted Living
Assisted Living Rules and Regulations in Massachusetts
Assisted Living Terms Used in Massachusetts
Assisted Living Residence
Assisted Living License Types
- All residences must have a standard license.
- There is a Special Care Residence certification for facilities who have special needs residents including those with Alzheimer’s disease.
Required Training for Staff
- All staff members must complete at least 7 hours of orientation before beginning active employment.
- Direct care staff must complete an additional 54 hours of training which must include personal hygiene, medication administration, nutrition, family dynamics, loss, death and dying and home safety.
- Every staff member is required to complete at least ten hours of in service training each year.
Each facility must provide sufficient 24 hour on-site staff to meet the needs of all residents, including emergency needs.
Residents must receive a disclosure statement that includes terms surrounding extra service charges.
Inspections are performed by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs and performed at least once every two years.
Private Payment Laws
A private payment may not exceed the amount of one month’s rent. The deposit must be maintained in a separate bank account.
Eviction Laws and Resident Protections
- Facilities have the right to evict residents who are in need of skilled nursing care.
- Residents are guaranteed certain rights under the Residents Rights including the right to privacy, the right to refuse treatment and the right to participate in group activities.
Links and Sources
Find Assisted Living