Cost of Assisted Living in Maine
According to the 2012 A Place for Mom Senior Living Costs Survey, the median monthly cost to live in an assisted living one bedroom apartment in Maine is $4,498.
Top Cities in Maine
All cities offering Assisted Living
Assisted Living Rules and Regulations in Maine
Assisted Living Terms and Licensing
- Assisted Living Program: According to Maine, “Assisted Living Programs are ‘apartment style’ living arrangements where a variety of services are provided, including help with medications and, in some cases, nursing services.”
- Facilities that provide Alzheimer’s and dementia care require additional licensing.
Required Staff Training
- All staff members must have initial training on consumer rights, confidentiality, assisted living philosophy and emergency procedures.
- State approved training is required for staff members of larger facilities that provide nursing services.
Overnight Staffing Laws
- Staffing must be adequate to meet the needs of the residents at all times.
- There is state law setting a staff ratio for certain large facilities that provide nursing services. For those facilities, there must be one staff member per 30 residents overnight.
Eviction Laws and Resident Protections
- A resident may be evicted from a facility if the facility is unable to meet the needs of the residents.
- Resident are guaranteed the right to communicate grievances and recommend changes, manage financial affairs, the right to confidentiality, the right to refuse services, the right to participate in activities, the right to be informed of services provided and the right to communicate privately with people of their choice.
Extra charges should be outlined in the service plan of each resident.
Inspections are conducted at every licensed facility and are unannounced.
Sources and Links
Find Assisted Living