Connecticut is one of the most expensive places to retire in the country with its high cost of health care and housing.
Cost of Assisted Living in Connecticut
According to the 2012 A Place for Mom Senior Living Costs Survey, the median monthly cost to live in an assisted living one bedroom apartment in Connecticut is $4,550.
Top Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living Rules and Regulations in Connecticut
Assisted Living Terms Used in Connecticut
Assisted Living Services Agencies
Assisted living service agencies must provide certain core services such as:
- Three meals per day
- Housekeeping and laundary
- Scheduled transportation
- Maintenance for all units
- Social and recreational programs
Required Training for Staff
- Each managed residential community must have an on-site service coordinator who has a background in human services.
- The supervisor must be a registered nurse with a baccalaureate degree in nursing and at least two years experience in the field.
- All staff must complete a ten hour orientation program and pass a competency exam.
- Assisted living aides must complete a minimum six hours of continuing education per year.
Overnight Staffing Laws
- Staffing must be adequate at all time to meet resident needs.
- At least one registered nurse must be on-call 24 hours a day.
Eviction Laws and Resident Protections
- Eviction is authorized if a resident’s condition is no longer chronic or no longer stable or if the resident does not meet the goals of care.
- Reasons for eviction are not limited to reasons specified in the regulations.
- Residents are entitled to a bill of rights which includes but is not limited to, a clean, safe and habitable private unit, to be treated with consideration, private communication freedom to participate in and benefit from group activities, and exercise civil and religious liberties.
- Assisted Living Services Agencies are inspected by the Department of Public Health biennially and whenever a complaint is made.
- Inspections are on-site reviews and include observation of care.
Sources and Links
Find Assisted Living