Cost of Assisted Living in New York
According to the 2012 A Place for Mom Senior Living Costs Survey, the median monthly cost to live in an assisted living one bedroom apartment in New York is $3,954
Top Cities in New York
Monthly costs in neighboring states
All cities offering Assisted Living
Assisted Living Rules and Regulations in New York
Assisted Living Terms Used in New York
There are two levels of care, an assisted living residence must hold a license for either an enriched housing program or an adult home. Enriched assisted living facilities may retain non-ambulatory residents or those with chronic unmanaged urinary or bowel incontinence.
Required Staff Training
- Staff members in adult homes and enriched housing programs must complete an orientation as well as continuing education classes.
- In an enriched housing program staff must also complete a state approved training program.
- Staff must be sufficient to meet the needs of residents at all times.
- Each resident must receive a weekly minimum of 3.75 hours of personal care.
- One staff person must be awake and available for every 60 residents.
Eviction Laws and Resident Protections
Adult homes an enriched housing may evict residents if they require services that can not be provided under the facility’s license, if the resident requires continual medical or nursing care, if the resident has an unstable mental condition, is chronically bedridden or suffers from communicable disease.
The New York State Department of Health inspects all assisted living facilities every year.
Private Payment and Medicaid
Medicaid reimbursement is available for home care services under the Assisted Living Program, but capacity is limited with just 4,200 beds statewide.
Links and Sources
Find Assisted Living