Cost of Assisted Living in Michigan
According to the 2012 A Place for Mom Senior Living Costs Survey, the median monthly cost to live in an assisted living one bedroom apartment in Michigan is $2,927.
Top Cities in Michigan
All cities offering Assisted Living
Assisted Living Rules and Regulations in Michigan
Assisted Living Terms and Licensing in Michigan
- Home for the Aged: Assisted living residence with 21 or more residents
- Adult Foster Care: Assisted living residence with fewer than 21 residents
- Staffing must be adequate to meet the needs of the residents.
- Minimum staffing requirements depend on the size of the home but range from 2 – 4 staff members with 80 residents requiring an additional awake staff member.
Eviction Laws and Resident Protections
- Any resident may be forced to leave the facility if he or she shows signs of serious mental disturbance or requires constant nursing care.
- Residents are entitled to rights including confidential treatment, access to medical records, and life free from physical and mental abuse.
Extra fees should be outlined in each individual service plan.
- Assisted living facilities are inspected by the Office of Children and Adult Licensing.
- Inspections occur annually for Homes for the Aged while Adult Foster Care facilities are inspected every other year.
Private Payment and Medicaid
In some circumstances Medicaid can pay for assisted living in Michigan, although it covers just personal care, not the room and board.
Sources and Links
Find Assisted Living