Cost of Assisted Living in Iowa
According to the 2012 A Place for Mom Senior Living Costs Survey, the median monthly cost to live in an assisted living one bedroom apartment in Iowa is $3,020.
Top Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living Rules and Regulations in Iowa
Assisted Living Terms Used in Iowa
- Assisted Living Facility
- Boarding Home
- Residential Care Facility
Iowa uses an accreditation system for residential care facilities. Special accreditation is required for homes that offer dementia care programs.
For assisted living facilities, staff providing direct care must be trained as an in-home health aide. Training differs for residents that provide dementia specific programming, requiring all staff members to complete at least six hours of dementia specific training and at least two hours of dementia specific care.
- Facilities must ensure that trained staff is available at all times to meet the needs of the residents.
- Dementia specific programs must have at least one staff person awake and on duty 24 hour per day to check on residents per their agreed upon service plans.
Eviction Laws and Resident Protections
- Residents may be forced to leave the facility if the resident is unable to get out of bed, needs more than part time health related care, needs daily medical injections, has unmanageable incontinence, becomes a danger to self or others, contracts an active stage contagious disease or suffers from acute alcoholism, drug addiction or mental illness.
- Residents must be fully informed of their rights upon move in.
- Each resident has a service plan that will be reviewed annually.
- Any extra service charges should be outlined in the service plan.
Sources and Links
Find Assisted Living